Au Gratin Potatoes
Take note of the cooking time for this recipe you can put aside the time. The thinner you cut the potatoes, the quicker the potatoes will cook. A mandolin slicer works great here. If you have a meat cutter, it’s even quicker and easier to cut them. If you are using a deep cast iron skillet, this can be a one pan recipe as well.
- 6 medium thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (you can use any mixture of melting cheeses)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes.
2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.