This recipe is a lot like the orange chicken you get in a local Chinese restaurant. I have found with cooking Chinese, the main ingredient for the ‘sour’ taste in so many dishes is rice wine vinegar. My recipe has a little less of that ‘sour’ taste, just due to my own personal preferences. Feel free to add a touch more rice wine vinegar if you like more of the sour taste. Also, if you prefer dark meat chicken (like you would typically get in an Asian style restaurant) use boneless skinless thighs instead of the breasts.
Ingredients for Chicken
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- Oil (for frying)
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 garlic cloves, finely diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
Directions for Sauce
- In a medium pot, add orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes. Heat for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water to form a paste. Add to orange sauce and whisk together. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken. Once the sauce is thickened, remove from heat and add orange zest.
Directions for Chicken
- Place flour and cornstarch in a shallow dish or pie plate. Add salt and stir.
- Whisk eggs in shallow dish.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then flour mixture. Place on plate.
- Heat 2 -3 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Using a thermometer, watch for it to reach 350 degrees.
- Working in batches, cook several chicken pieces at a time. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, turning often until golden brown. Place chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Toss chicken with orange sauce. You may reserve some of the sauce to place on rice. Serve it with a sprinkling of green onion and orange zest, if so desired.