These preserves can be made without the canning process, they just won’t be shelf stable and should stay refrigerated.
- 5 C crushed strawberries (about 3 lbs)
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp Pectin
- 7 cups granulated sugar
- 8 half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine strawberries and lemon juice in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add all the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Ladle jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.