- 2 sticks salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (milk or semi sweet)
- Candy thermometer
- In a heavy saucepan add butter, sugar, and vanilla. Turn the burner on med- high and melt this mixture; stirring constantly. The mixture will blend, become frothy and then turn a caramel color. Stir constantly until the mixture resembles a smooth mixture which is light brown and the thermometer shows 300° hard crack stage.
- Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with Pam. Using a rubber spatula, spread the mixture (as quickly as possible) evenly on the pan.
- While the mixture is very hot, sprinkle the chocolate chips on the hot candy and let sit for 1 minute. Using rubber spatula, smooth the chocolate then sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator until cold. Take the candy out and break it into pieces. It is best stored in airtight container or gallon sized bag in refrigerator.