Broccoli Cheese Soup
This recipe is very much like the Panera broccoli and cheese soup recipe, which is my all time favorite soup! The broccoli can be chopped as big or small as you prefer. I leave mine pretty chunky, therefore the broccoli still has a slight crunch to it.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/4 cup butter (for roux)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour (for roux)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion and carrots in one tablespoon melted butter until, slightly softened and set aside. In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour and cook for about 3-4 minutes, this is the roux for your soup.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and the carrot and onion mixture. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli is as tender as you prefer. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve.