Canned Apple Butter
This recipe can be made without the canning process, it just needs to stay refrigerated.
- 5 lbs apples, peeled and sliced or chunked
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place 1/3 of the apples on bottom of crockpot, pour one cup of sugar over the top.
- Place another 1/3 of the apples in crockpot, pour second cup of sugar over the top.
- Place remaining 1/3 of the apples in crockpot, pour the remaining sugar over the top, then add remaining ingredients on top, smash down as tightly as possible, and then cook on high in crockpot for one hour.
- Turn down heat to low, stir really well, then cook on low for 8 hours.
- Place in sterile jars with lids and process for 10 minutes in hot water bath.