- 40 Roma tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet onions
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed
- 5 jalapeños, stems removed
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- Prepare tomatoes by putting a small slice lengthwise on two sides of the tomatoes wish a small knife, then dunking in boiling water for just a minute to split and loosen skins. Dunk about 10 at a time, then remove and put in large colander to cool.
- Add onions, jalapeños, green pepper and garlic to a food processor and pulse a few times to get vegetables to the desired consistency.
- Using a dutch oven, add the vegetables from the processor, the lime juice, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cilantro and set aside.
- The tomato skins should be very easy to remove at this point. Remove skins and cores, chop tomatoes and put back in the colander to remove some of the moisture. Once you have removed as much moisture as you can, add tomatoes to the dutch oven with everything else and bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking.
Canning Video if you choose to can for shelf-stable salsa.