Chocolate Cream Pie
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Filling
- Place the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract in a 2-quart mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan away from heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Whisk in 1/4 cup of cold heavy cream until the mixture is smooth, with no lumps. Repeat with another 1/4 cup of the cream. Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the remaining cream and milk.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly as the mixture thickens; boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over the reserved chocolate and butter.
- Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pass the filling through a strainer into a bowl to remove any lumps.
- Place plastic wrap or buttered parchment paper on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and chill thoroughly.
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust, and top with topping.
Directions for Topping
- Place the heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl.
- Whip until the whisk begins to leave tracks in the bowl.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until the cream holds a medium peak.