- ½ cup corn meal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh whole okra
1. In a large skillet, heat 3-inches of oil over medium heat until the oil reaches 360ºF.
2. Pour the buttermilk into a shallow dish. In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
3. Dip okra in buttermilk on all sides, allow excess to drip off, toss in flour and cornmeal mixture, and place into the hot oil.
4. Turn occasionally to cook evenly on all sides, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat in batches until all okra is cooked. Lightly season with salt.