This is an amazing cake, just know that it is also a very large cake and requires a tube pan rather than a loaf pan.
- 1 pound (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- tube pan for baking
- Preheat oven to 3o0°F.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy (butter will turn to fluffy white). Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yolk disappears.
- Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. (The batter should be smooth and bits of flour should be well incorporated; to rid batter of lumps, stir gently with a rubber spatula.) Stir in extract.
- Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.