Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds medium or large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, tails removed
- 1 pound andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1/2 pound frozen okra
- 2-4 teaspoons hot sauce – preferrably Cholula
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked long grain white rice
- Combine salt, paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, then set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add oil. Stir in flour and continue to stir with a whisk until mixture is browned and creamy.
- Add broth, shrimp, sausage, celery, red bell peppers, onions, tomato paste, garlic, diced tomatoes, dry seasonings you set aside, and hot sauce, then stir to combine everything.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Gumbo should be boiling, veggies should be tender, and shrimp should be opaque. Serve with hot cooked white rice if desired.