This is a sweet cornbread recipe, but still has that little crunch on the bottom. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, or don’t want the crunchy bottom, just spray an 8×8 casserole dish with non stick cooking spray and skip the step about putting in oven first. This sweet cornbread is a great addition to my jambalaya.
- 2 tablespoons shortening or oil for pan
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup yellow, white or blue cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Add shortening or oil to 8-inch cast iron pan, and then put in oven.
- In a large bowl, beat the melted butter, milk and egg with a fork or wire whisk until well mixed.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, add to the liquid mix, then stir just until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Carefully, with an oven mitt, remove cast iron skillet from oven.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape batter from bowl into skillet and smooth the top. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.