Southern Fried Cabbage
- 8 slices raw bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds cabbage, shredded (or pre-cut cabbage)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the bacon into tiny pieces.
- Add the bacon to a large skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, all the time mixing, until crisp.
- Set the fried bacon aside and reserve the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Lower the heat to minimum. Fry the onion until caramelized, about 5–10 minutes. Don’t let burn. Cover the skillet if the onion is about to burn or to get dry.
- When the onion is done, add the cabbage. Increase the heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes for a crispy result. Increase the cooking time if you prefer softer cabbage, Mix every 5 minutes when cooking.
- Once the cabbage is to your liking, remove the skillet from the heat. Add the fried bacon and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4
Calories: 153 Fat: 10.9 Protein: 7.4 Carbs: Fiber: Net Carbs: 6.5