Baked Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni, elbow shells, or cavatappi
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a salted pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Cook pasta according to directions, minus about a minute. Drain and set aside if your sauce isn’t ready by the time the pasta is done.
- While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a skillet or pot large enough to hold the pasta when it’s done.
- Add the flour and stir over medium heat until the mixture is lightly browned; 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps and then add the salt, pepper, and ground mustard.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. About 6 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and whisk until smooth and melted. Turn off the heat.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and bake in a greased 2 quart dish (or an 8×8 pan works pretty well) 20-25 minutes until browned and bubbly.