From Scratch Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add carrot and onion and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for another minute, until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the butter and flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the chicken and any accumulated juices back to the pot and stir to coat in the roux.
- Add the chicken broth, cream, thyme, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Once soup is at a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cream. Stir until mixture comes together into single mass of dough.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, form the dough into small round balls about 1 inch in diameter (the dough should yield 14-16 dumplings).
- Place the dough balls in the simmering soup (making sure they don’t touch) and cover. Let the soup simmer for 15 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through.