Key Lime Pie
Ingredients Graham Cracker Crust
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- 11 full graham crackers (to make just about 2 cups graham cracker crumbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Ingredients Pie Filling
- 1 1/2 tablespoons zest from key limes (regular limes are fine)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup Key Lime Juice (in juice aisle, make sure it’s key lime)
Ingredients For Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Make graham cracker crumbs in food processor or place graham crackers in plastic bag and crush until they turn into crumbs.
- Put butter in a med-large mixing bowl and mix in graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt until combined.
- Put mixture into a 9-inch pie dish and pat it down with your fingers to make the crust. Bring the crust up the edges as well.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Allow to cool while preparing pie filling.
- Whip most of the zest (reserving a pinch for sprinkling the top of the pie to garnish) and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and mix for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add lime juice and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes. Pie will rise slightly but the filling won’t change color.
- Allow to cool for ½ hour at room temperature before cooling completely in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Use an electric mixer to whip together cream and sugar for a few minutes until stiff peaks form. Top the pie with whipped cream and optional zest before serving.