Sausage and Caramelized Onion Quiche
The recipe clearly states a “sauté” pan, but note that I used a cast iron skillet for the entire meal. If you have cast iron skillets, by all means, go for it! I love the stove to oven top versatility of cast iron, and it makes everything taste better.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage (or mild if you prefer)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 10 large seggs
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large sauté pan over low-medium heat, add onion, butter, garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook until onions are nice and caramelized – About 20 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking – In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Once the sausage is nearly finished cooking, add mushrooms, tomato paste, and hot sauce, and sauté 5-10 more minutes. Mix caramelized onions into meat mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, crack all 10 eggs and whisk. Once mixed, add in cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- In a 2 quart glass baking dish, pour meat into the bottom of the dish and spread evenly. Pour egg mixture over the top of the meat.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Once finished, the top should be a nice golden brown color.