Instapot Cajun Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (divided)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white rice (rinsed several times)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut in strips)
- Salt and pepper (to season chicken)
- Preheat InstaPot by pressing the “sauté” button.
- Once IP is hot, add olive oil and then add chopped onions, red and green bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté until slightly softened. Turn off InstaPot
- Add 1/4 cup of chicken stock to deglaze the bottom of the InstaPot, making sure no bits and pieces are stuck to the bottom. This will ensure that nothing is stuck on the bottom to prevent a burn warning.
- Next add remaining chicken stock, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt. Mix and stir to combine and to make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom.
- Now add rinsed rice and make sure it’s submerged into the liquid.
- Add sliced chicken and season it generously with the salt and pepper, adding additional Cajun seasoning if you desire.
- Close the lid and put valve to sealing position.
- Set to high pressure and set the timer for 8 minutes (9 for softer rice).
- When the time is up, use quick pressure release.
- Shred the chicken strips with the fork and stir to combine with the rice.