Jalapeño Cheddar Bread
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 1/2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 jalapeños, one sliced, two chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups warm water (105°F – 110°F)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the bread flour, 2 cups of cheese (remaining 1/2 cup goes on top of bread), the chopped jalapeños (the sliced jalapeños go on top) and the salt. Stir well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Pour the flour mixture on top of the yeast water and use a silicone spatula to stir until the dough comes together.
- With the silicone spatula, fold the dough around the edges of the bowl toward the center, rotating the bowl each time and folding a total of 8 times.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest in a warm place for about 60 minutes, or until nearly doubled in size.
- After the first rising, using the spatula again, fold the dough toward the center again 8 more times. Cover with the towel again and let rest another 30 minutes. Heat your oven and dutch oven at this point.
- Put dutch oven and lid in the oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Once bread is done with second rise, lightly flour a clean work surface. Remove bread from bowl and put on floured surface. Flip bread over and brush away excess flour. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center 8 times, then flip over the dough and transfer to a piece of parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the dough with olive oil, then sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top. Use a sharp knife to score the bread with an ‘X’, and then arrange the jalapeños slices on top of the cheese.
- Carefully remove the dutch oven and lid from the oven and using the parchment, lift the bread into the pot. Cover with the lid and bake at 450°F for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake another 20 minutes.
- Carefully slide the bread out of the pot and onto a wire rack. Remove the parchment paper and let the bread cool somewhat before slicing.